Cash discounting has gained attention as a strategy for merchants to reduce credit card processing fees. However, concerns about its impact on customer behavior and potential loss of business have made some hesitant to adopt this approach. In this blog post, we will delve into the research conducted on cash discounting and its effect on consumer behavior. We will also explore the psychological aspects of cash discounting versus surcharging, offering insights that can help sales professionals overcome objections and effectively promote cash discounting to merchants.
- Research on Cash Discounting:After extensive research, two conclusive reports emerged that provide valuable insights into cash discounting. These reports analyzed a diverse group of merchants who implemented cash discounting and compared their transaction volumes before and after its introduction. Surprisingly, the results showed no measurable difference in consumer behavior.
- Cash discounting did not significantly affect credit card processing volume.
- 99.2% of the time, cash discounting did not result in any issues at the point of sale.
- Consumers either accepted cash discounting or were not concerned enough to alter their behavior.
- The Psychological Impact:In comparison to surcharging, cash discounting seemed to have a more positive reception among consumers. This could be attributed, in part, to the clarity and simplicity of cash discounting compared to the potential confusion associated with surcharging. Consumers appear to be more accepting of a straightforward cash discount rather than a surcharge on specific payment types.
- Overcoming Objections:The research findings suggest that merchants can benefit from cash discounting by saving a significant amount on processing fees. However, awareness of these findings is crucial. Sales professionals should collaborate with payment processors that provide marketing materials showcasing the research results. By equipping themselves with materials that demonstrate the positive impact of cash discounting on customer behavior, sales professionals can address merchant objections and encourage the adoption of this cost-saving strategy.
- Providing Supportive Marketing Materials:To assist sales professionals, we aim to compile downloadable marketing materials that present the research findings and address concerns related to cash discounting. These materials will help merchants understand that implementing cash discounting is unlikely to result in a loss of business. Having access to informative resources strengthens sales professionals' ability to promote cash discounting confidently.
The fear surrounding cash discounting and its potential impact on consumer behavior is debunked by objective research. Consumers have shown little resistance to cash discounting, making it an appealing strategy for merchants seeking to reduce processing fees. By focusing on the positive findings and providing educational marketing materials, sales professionals can effectively advocate for cash discounting, highlighting its benefits and dispelling concerns. With the support of these research-backed materials, merchants can confidently embrace cash discounting and reap the cost-saving advantages it offers.